Thursday, April 16, 2009

17 Again Premiere

17 Again



Tuesday night, I had the privilege of going to the premiere for 17 Again. It was a star studded event. Not just because the stars of the movie were there, but because their friends and family were there too. I saw stars like Vanessa Hudgens, Matthew Perry,Kenny Ortega (directed High School Musical 1,2,3), Leslie Mann, and the Jonas Brothers (who had at least 4 security guards with them.) Even the cast from American Idol was there. I got sat 2 rows behind my friend who was in the same row as the cast of “Disney’s Sonny with a Chance”. I on the other hand, had a bunch of girls who would start screaming as soon as Zac Efron would appear on screen. I guess that gives it that genuine movie going experience. In case you’re wondering I started to get my hearing back a couple of hours later.

The story is about a father (Matthew Perry) who after years of regretting how his life turned out after a decision he made when he was 17,meets a janitor who gives him the chance to relive his old glory days. Once he becomes his 17 year old self again (portrayed by Zac Efron), he must find out why he was given this chance before its too late and he loses his family.

I think this is pretty similar to other hit films like, “13 Going 30, and “Big”. You kind of see the outcome right from the start, but you still sit there and wait for the end to come. It seems like every few years Hollywood is going in that direction. Using movies where people have a chance to see themselves and make a few changes. Other than the few similarities, it was a very entertaining movie. I did enjoy it. Zac Efron did do a good job. I can see why he doesn’t want to do anymore musical type movies and stick with drama/comedy types. He most recently dropped out of filming Fame. Others in the film were Leslie Mann (Knocked Up), Michelle Trachtenberg (Buffy series), Thomas Lennon (Reno 911!), and Sterling Knight (Sonny with a Chance). Directed by Burr Steers, who has done mostly television shows and done some acting. It is one of those films that you would need to see with an audience. So if you have some time this weekend go and check this one out. I think your going to enjoy it.

No comments: